Welcome - Let's Talk.

Politicized education serves none well. Let's take the diaglogue back to what matters, assuring a good education for the children of this nation.

This blog calls out the half-truths, myths, and downright lies that continue to scapegoat schools and teachers. The best schooling always required a partnership among the community, parents, and schools. At one time we could add the church to this list, but in our efforts to avoid controversy we now pretend that churches hold no sway with our young people.
A caveat is in order. Politically correct dialogue frequently strips the message of its power. Sensitive subjects will find their way to this blog. My hope is that we can engage, even disagreeing, in civilized, respectful discourse. You can be forceful, politically incorrect, and passionate. If you choose to be verbally abusive, profane, or bigoted you will be banned from the site.


Monday, October 18, 2010

Why I Blog

Considering that I have spent the past 35 years in one intellectual setting or another you would think I am weary of discussing issues.  The sad truth exists that I crave conversation about issues that matter. 
The academy should fairly seethe with weighty conversations covering social issues, education, politics, and religion, the state of the economy, interesting books and people. . .   Not the case.  We talk about class size.  We talk about recruiting and retention.  We talk about the lack of sufficient money for carrying out our work as we understand it.  We talk about governance, the quality of the food on campus, and whether or not the heat or air is working efficiently.  In our building we talk about the constant smell of sewer gas.  I have a theory about that one that I should probably keep to myself – at least until I retire.
After 10 years at this institution I can report that I have yet to engage in a planned, deliberate discussion of ideas.  Somewhere in the minutia of making a university work the notion that we must make time for discussing matters of substance just seems to get lost.  Maybe this is true on every campus, but my own experiences would belie that conclusion - so I blog.
I invite you to engage in conversation about ideas of substance.  The world is not confined to the petty, territorial machinations becoming typical on college campuses.  Even if we pull our heads into the turtle shell it is not likely we can wait out the storms hovering above us.

No comments: