Welcome - Let's Talk.

Politicized education serves none well. Let's take the diaglogue back to what matters, assuring a good education for the children of this nation.

This blog calls out the half-truths, myths, and downright lies that continue to scapegoat schools and teachers. The best schooling always required a partnership among the community, parents, and schools. At one time we could add the church to this list, but in our efforts to avoid controversy we now pretend that churches hold no sway with our young people.
A caveat is in order. Politically correct dialogue frequently strips the message of its power. Sensitive subjects will find their way to this blog. My hope is that we can engage, even disagreeing, in civilized, respectful discourse. You can be forceful, politically incorrect, and passionate. If you choose to be verbally abusive, profane, or bigoted you will be banned from the site.


Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pet Peeve Time: Midterm Grades for University Students

I missed a couple of days posting a blog not because I had nothing to say, rather because I was buried in figuring mid-term grades for my university students.  Since two of my courses are online and the other is supported online this should have been a relatively simple task.  After all, there are electronic grade books built into the learning management system my university uses.  More about that issue when I blog, probably several times about teaching online.
Even if the electronic grade books worked well, and they don’t, I would object to generating midterm reports for my university students.  You may be thinking about now, “What an old curmudgeon!”  Maybe I am, but I can’t be sure, since when I was a young professor this expectation did not exist.
College courses require a syllabus.  The syllabus requires a thorough rendering of what is assigned, what is graded, and how each assignment fits within the larger determination of grades.  As a university student I always knew exactly how I was doing in any given class.  I could and did read the syllabus.  I jealously kept track of my own progress.  I had a goal and I knew precisely what I needed to accomplish to reach the goal.
Providing midterm grades for both undergraduate and graduate students serves the purpose of taking the personal responsibility of achievement away from the student.  I’ve already had three calls today; from graduate students who are “so surprised” by their poor showings.  Bunk!  If you have failed to do half of what is expected of you, you ought to have a clue that you aren’t doing well.  If you don’t, then you are too stupid for graduate school.
Probably a little harsh; on the other hand my excuse is fatigue from doing a job those individual students should do themselves.

2 comments:

LC said...

I must ask, where does the rubber hit the road for you here? Do you think we should not be releasing midterm grades? While I am all for the student taking ownership of his or her own grades, I see the value in releasing midterm grades. With 60 plus students I have made my fair share of mistakes this semester. Students were able to check their own grade expectations against my statistics, and the few errors were corrected quickly.

Your post hints at a much larger problem, one that encompasses grades, and so much more. The university we both speak of has taken step after step to mollycoddle the students (read customers) at every turn. Here is the real paradox. We want to produce adults upon graduation, we want them to competitively enter the workforce, yet each time they are faced with a growing oppurtunity, they fall flat and are summarily scooped up into the forgiving arms of administrators. Forgot to turn in your FAFSA on time: We'll make Financial Aid bend over backwards to accomodate you. Failed to notice your own terrible grade in a class: don't worry, that's why we have late drop and add period. Forgot your debit card: here, take my lunch.

Good topic again

Dr. Cheri Quinn said...

Your take on the issue is interesting and I admit that I don't view it the same way. In the online environment it is pretty easy for both students and professors to keep track of progress and to notice errors pretty readily. You are correct that the subtext is a lament about the infantilizing of adult students. Why spend the time and money posting midterm grades when the same information is available to any student who cares to know. I really do have better things to do with those precious hours.